Sunday, December 8, 2013

Golan Levin

Golan Levin is an artist but also has a background in engineering. He combines his talents to create fascinating interactive works of art. He claims to focus more on the behavior behind the piece rather than its ascetic qualities. In his interview Levin is talking about his moving eye sculpture and how he used it to create a different relationship between spectators. Not only is the person viewing the piece a spectator, but the piece itself is also one. Levin engineered the eye in such a way that it seems as though it has a personality. The eye follows the spectators every move and is programed to blink a split second after them. Levin works primarily with the behavior and tries to create pieces that allow interaction with the spectator. He wants to trigger behaviors and be able to study the relationship between a created behavior and the reaction with a natural behavior. I find Golan Levin's work interesting. It is not what I think about when someone says art, however, I can still see it as that. I like how he is interested in the reaction of the spectators. I found that with my performance art I became more interested in people's reactions to me rather than the original message behind the piece. I can appreciate where Golan Levin is coming from and I would love to get to experience his work in person one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment